Trinity’s magnificent mechanical-action organ is regarded as one of the finest organs in the United Kingdom. The original instrument was built by the famous 'Father' Smith in 1694 and 1706. Over the years many alterations were made, until in 1913 an almost totally new organ was built, on a massive scale. Some of the pipes were so large that they would not fit in the organ loft, and had to stand in a corner of the Ante-Chapel.
In 1976 the Swiss firm Metzler Söhne completed the present mechanical-action instrument based on the surviving pipework, and within the original cases, of the 1694 and 1706 'Father' Smith organs. The 42-rank instrument is remarkable for its meticulous craftsmanship and durability, in addition to its rich but gentle resonance and its exquisite balance.